Martyn L Bates
Date of Birth: 16th October 1984
Driving Licence: Full UK held for 3 years
Energetic final year mechanical and design engineering student possessing excellent problem solving and communication skills.
Skills & Achievements
Team Work & Leadership
- Developed an understanding of how a team must work together in order to solve a problem whilst participating in the Engineering Education Scheme.
- Experience of working in groups during numerous course related projects, the ability to function as part of a team to achieve a target and present ideas orally and in written reports has been an essential part of my degree course.
- Attended an RAF leadership course which demonstrated the need for competent planning and leadership. The course also helped to improve my leadership skills and understand how to be a more effective team member.
- Responsible for the safety of groups during activities in CCF and Young Engineers.
- Ability to understand problems and generating solutions demonstrated to a high standard throughout the design aspect of degree course.
- Capacity to develop innovative design solutions used during STEP project and Audi design foundation awards.
- Able to use presentations, reports, drawings and design software to convey ideas and solutions clearly.
- Presentation skills demonstrated with great confidence and clarity on a number of occasions to communicate ideas to team members, panels and large audiences.
- Computer literate and familiar with some programming languages.
- Fully proficient with most office packages as well as a number of scientific packages.
- Fully competent with numerous design packages such as Pro-Desktop and Inventor.
2004 - Present University of Newcastle upon Tyne Newcastle upon Tyne
BEng Mechanical Engineering with Design: Obtained grade 2:2 (Hons)
2003 - 2004 Brunel University Uxbridge
Successfully completed Level 1 of a Mechanical & Automotive Design Engineering degree (BEng)
1996 - 2003 Bancroft's School Redbridge
GCSEs: 9 GCSEs achieved 3 A*s, 4 As & 2 Bs.
AO Level: Mathematics (B)
AS Levels: Economics and Electronics (B)
A levels: Design & Technology (A), Mathematics and Physics (C)
June 2005 – August 2005: Monitor Coatings Limited, Newcastle upon Tyne
Evaluated the company's production processes in order to identify areas of inefficiency, suggested improvements could have doubled profitability.
June 2004 – September 2004: Jackson Coulson Partnership, Leeds
Working as a Building Services Engineer helping to survey sites, plan layouts of mechanical services and produce tender documents and AutoCAD drawings.
July 2003 – September 2003: Southend Healthcare Trust, Orsett
General Clerical Assistant
Acted as a first point of call for patients by answering the telephone and signing-in patients. Involved locating patients' records and arranging appointments for patients using PAS.
March 2003 –September 2003: Tesco Stores Limited, Great Dunmow
Customer Service Assistant
Required to operate a checkout, occasionally help replenish stock and assist with any other customer queries.
May 2002 – May 2003: Palm Nursing Home Ltd, Woodford Green
Involved mostly filing, typing and updating company policy documents. Also responsible for company newsletter, brochure and web design.
July 2000: Walker Packman (ISG), London
Building Surveyor (work experience)
Assisted with surveys and administrative tasks.
A keen follower of many sports, regularly take part or watch American football, athletics, cross country, cricket, darts, football, golf, hockey, poker, pool, and squash events. Currently a member of the University's Athletics and Squash clubs. Regularly a part of Newcastle University's 2 nd XI hockey team and a member of intramural sports teams including hockey, 7-a-side and 11-a-side football. Digital photography, computer games, television and music are also interests of mine. Currently raising money for the Meningitis Trust to take part in this year's Great North Run.
Professor Yuri Sergeev (Personal Tutor)
Tel: 0191 222 6284
School of Mechanical & Systems Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
Mr Stan Jackson (Partner of JCP)
Tel: 0113 387 3252
Jackson Coulson Partnership
The Arch Barn